Always masterful at balancing her moody punk aesthetic with vibrant whimsy, Anna Sui debuted a feast of light-as-air patch-worked floral patterns, Victorian silhouettes and ruffles—so many ruffles!—every piece sure to be a filter-free hit on IG. For the accompanying hairstyle, R+Co co-founder Garren sought inspiration in the whipped updos portrayed in turn-of-the-20th-century Gibson Girls illustrations, yet he modernized them by deconstructing the shape and introducing a hint of grungy texture—a nod to Sui’s core. “In order to accomplish Anna’s take on nouveau bohemian, we really dug deep to get models with long hair that would fulfill the Victorian slot Anna wanted,” says Garren. However, he’s quick to add that models’ hair types varied; his team made product tweaks to assure styling fit each girl’s natural texture. Here, he breaks down how to achieve the styles for a breadth of hair types.
Hair by Garren for R+Co
Photographed by Chris Diaz
Get the Look
(Prep steps for frizzy or curly hair)
1. Start with CASSETTE Curl Shampoo + Conditioner.
2. Prep curly hair with TURNTABLE Curl Defining Crème and frizzy hair with WATERFALL Moisture + Shine Lotion.
(Prep steps for fine/thin hair)
1. 1. Cleanse using CACTUS Texturizing Shampoo to infuse body + texture.
2. 2. Apply CHIFFON Styling Mousse or DALLAS Thickening Spray roots to ends and let it air dry. If needed, diffuse with a blow dryer to increase body.
(Prep steps for normal hair)
1. On damp hair, begin with ANALOG Cleansing Foam Conditioner to lend body.
2. Apply SAIL Soft Wave Spray or RODEO STAR Thickening Style Foam from roots to ends and allow hair to air dry for a more natural look.
1. Once hair dries, draw a center part. Create two sections: one from the end of one eyebrow all the way to the crown and the same for the opposite side. Leave the rest of the hair loose.
2. Backcomb the two sections.
3. Twist each section away from the part, and join together to create a messy topknot. Secure the knot with pins.
4. Option 1: Leave the sides and back loose and natural, and pull a few pieces from the top to create feathery wisps. Skip to Step 7.
5. Option 2: Flip hair upside-down and spray BALLOON Dry Volume Spray throughout. Loosely pull back the lengths into a low ponytail using P.S. x Danielle Priano ponytail elastics (medium size) in a color that matches the hair. Skip to Step 7.
6. Option 3: Flip the ponytail up and inward, tucking it to create a “bellow” shape. Secure with pins.
7. Spray OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray all over to secure the look.
8. 8. Finish by adding a touch of TROPHY Shine + Texture Spray to enhance texture.
Want more? Join Garren at ELECTRIC HOUSE on October 6th to witness more of his hair mastery up close and personal alongside the rest of R+Co co-founder and collective members. Set in the near future, ELECTRIC HOUSE challenges you to imagine what’s next in hair with exciting presentations set against immersive theatrics. Get your tickets here for this supercharged event!